Violence erupted in Bangladesh against construction of power plant

The protest of the local people turned violent when other group attacked the protest which killed one person and injured others. The local people were protesting against the construction of a power plant. There is anger and opposition against the construction of coal fired power plant built some 265 km from capital Dhaka. The local people are protesting against the forced evictions from their lands.

There are also concerns regarding the use of coal in the power plant. The Chinese company is building this power plant which will cost 2.4 billion dollars. The 70% money will be provided by the Chinese banks and remaining 30% will comes from local partners.

The four people died last year when the violent protest broke out at the same sight. The tension still persist in the area. Some local people are supporting the construction but the rest are against.

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.