Police finally registers FIR of attack on Imran Khan in Wazirabad

Police registered FIR on the direction of Supreme Court against arrested attacker Naveed under terrorism and murder and other charges in Wazirabad police station

Punjab police finally registered the FIR of an attack on PTI chairman Imran Khan after Supreme Court’s intervention in the matter. The FIR has been registered in Wazirabad City police station.  The chief justice had directed Inspector General of Police (IGP) Punjab Faisal Shahkar to register a FIR in accordance with the law and submit a report within 24 hours. The prime suspect Naveed, who was captured from the crime scene, has been nominated in the case, registered under various charges including terrorism, murder and attempt to murder.

The FIR, No. 691/22, has been registered on the complaint of SHO City Wazirabad Amir Shahzad, under sections 302, 324, 440 and Section 7 of the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997. The FIR said as the march reached the opposite side of the Rescue-1122 offices at around 4pm, an unknown person, who was later identified as Naveed son of Bashir Mehar, opened fire with a pistol from the left side of the container.

As a result, a PTI activist identified as Moazzam, son of Nawaz of Bharoki Cheema, received bullet injury, which proved fatal for him. In the meantime, PTI Chairman Imran Khan, Muhammad Ahmad Chatha, Hamza Altaf, Faisal Javed, Mian Azhar Hussain, Imran Yousaf, Rashid Mahmood, Muhammad Liaqat, Zahid Hussain, Umar Farooq, Areeb Hassan and some unknown persons received bullet injuries.

An activist of PTI later identified as Hassan Ibtesam captured the accused person and helped stopping further firing by the attacker. Afterwards, the PTI chairman departed for Lahore after getting first aid, while other injured persons were shifted to Civil Hospital Wazirabad for treatment. Police got the report registered and collected evidence.

The complainant further stated that the incident was of a sensitive and serious nature, which created unrest and terror among people. Further investigations are underway. Earlier, Zubair Niazi, a relative of PTI chief Imran Khan and general-secretary of PTI Lahore chapter had lodged a complaint with the station house officer (SHO) concerned to register an FIR against the prime minister, interior minister and a senior military officer named by Imran Khan as suspects in the failed assassination attempt.

The FIR has been registered on the complaint of the police and the three top officials have not been nominated in the case. The suspect Naveed had admitted to opening fire on the container, but he did not point out to anyone during the initial investigation. He remained firmed that he acted alone and claimed that a few speeches of Imran Khan hurt his religious sentiments.

His mobile phone reportedly had those clips. Besides, speeches of a few religious scholars were also recovered from his mobile phone. The suspect said that he used to hear the speeches of the religious scholars.

PTI has rejected the FIR registered by Police. PTI is insisting to include names of two top government and one military official in the FIR.   The investigators and the federal government are adamant that the attacker acted alone. However, the PTI leadership including Imran Khan said Naveed was only a pawn, who executed the assassination plot, hatched by three powerful personalities of the country.

Earlier, the Supreme Court (SC) Monday ordered for registration of the first information report (FIR) about the assassination attempt on former prime minister and Chairman Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) Imran Khan within 24 hours.


No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.